Friday, July 27, 2007

Item 23 - summary of thoughts

I have to say that this experience has been more enjoyable than I thought it may be. The steps were put together in a way that allowed me to focus on one new technology at a time - which lessens confusion in my already cluttered mind! Most of the steps were easy to follow, which meant success was easily attained, which of course led to increased confidence and a greater willingness to try the next new thing! Frequent bouts of frustration will eventually discourage me from wanting to try something new - so I am pleased that frustrations were few and far between - which states how well this program was put together.

I think this program is a great learning tool. It would be great to have new "modules" made as more newer technology becomes available - that way we could do just that module and stay updated without becoming overwhelmed.

What I have learned:
That the electronic world is here to stay, and ways we can use that technology in both our personal and professional lives will continue to increase. The more comfortable we are (and as librarians, we must become so) the more tools we will have at our fingertips.
I have also learned that I should not be afraid of new tools and technology. Unlike the old days when, as a programmer, I learned to be really careful and sure that I want to press the "Enter" key, now experimenting can be fun without worrying about destroying entire databases and files (most of the time! at least on Web 2.0 applications!).
I have also learned about a lot of the new tools out on the web available to me. I am certain that when creative opportunities come my way, both here at work and personally, I will think about what is out there that may either simplify, and/or enhance how I go about doing what I need to do.
Mostly, I learned that this new 2.o technology is not all that difficult to learn to use, and I should not hesitate to get out there and be adventurous!

3 comments:

beachy librarian said...

Congratulations on finishing, Tech Adventure. I enjoyed reading your comments - you put alot of thought in to them, and I agree. Also, loved the pigs!

TennisPlayingLibrarian said...

Congrats, Nancy. I like your suggestion about having the tutorial for downloadable audiobooks on the HCPL website for the public. I should have known you would have a video of pigs somewhere!

IrmBrown said...

Congrats from me too. Good job. Hope you'll keep blogging... you know, you have lots to share ... not just about 23 Things, but from your point of view... other things as well.