Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Week 2, Thing 7

I've spent some time looking at Flickr. One of the things I enjoyed was finding public pictures of some of my favorite places - it's a fun way to site-see without leaving home.

I am amazed by the number of things one can do with Flickr and some of the "mashups" - it looks like a fun way to create your own calendar, etc. with your photos. Unfortunately it looks like you need to have your own account with your own pictures uploaded to actually use those tools. (Sadly, I don't have a digital camera, but I have been told that I could have a roll of film put on a disk and upload from the disk - maybe I'll try that with pictures from my next vacation, and then attempt to make a calendar)! I thought about trying to create a cube with public pictures, but it wouldn't let me do that - I needed to use my own pictures, but not having photos available to upload...

I was especially intrigued with the Flickr color pickr - where you can find public pictures that match a particular color...now that looks like a tool that could come in handy when doing an art project with photos (found on Flickr!). This also was easy to use, which I cannot say about all the tools I looked at. I wish the creators of these tools would give an introduction telling the user what exactly to expect!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

And now I see that the picture is gone...I got it from the public files of Flickr and it seems to have been removed from that file, and thus my blog. Wouldn't it have nice if the picture had been linked to the blog without maintaining its identity with Flickr, but I guess then there is no way to trace where it came from. It's something to be aware of if one decides to use a Flickr public picture for something they are doing!